NBCC approved distance learning course (6 hours): Clinical Supervision: Ethical and Legal Issues in Clinical Supervision.
This 6 hour homestudy course focuses on the major elements of legal and ethical issues surrounding Clinical Supervisors in behavioral health settings. Included are legal parameters of the NBCC. In this workshop, participants will also learn about the different areas of legal and ethical concern for today’s clinical supervisors. Legal areas include scope of clinical and supervisory practice, malpractice, duty to warn, direct and vicarious liability, informed consent, confidentiality, and the ADA. Ethical areas covered include workplace harassment, dual relationships, and clinical supervision ethical standards. The homestudy course objectives are as follows:
- This distance learning course focuses on the major elements of legal and ethical issues surrounding Clinical Supervisors in behavioral health settings.
- Included are legal parameters of the NBCC along with legal parameters for professional counselors licensure regulations from the Division of Consumer Affairs.
- In this workshop, participants will also learn about the different areas of legal and ethical concern for today’s clinical supervisors.
- Legal areas include duty to warn, direct and vicarious liability, informed consent, confidentiality, and the ADA.
- Ethical areas covered include workplace harassment, dual relationships, and clinical supervision ethical standards.
Table of Contents
- Introduction - page 04
- Client, Supervisee and Organizational Uniqueness - page 08
- Cultural Competence - page 09
- Managing Difficult Staff and Progressive Discipline - page 11
- Due Process - page 16
- HIPAA Overview - page 20
- Record keeping - page 28
- Informed Consent - page 33
- Duty to Warn and Protect, 42-CFR Part 2 and Imminent Danger - page 35
- Dual Relationships - page 40
- Online Therapy/Distance Counseling Ethical Issues - page 42
- Harassment and Sexual Harassment - page 50
- Americans with Disabilities Act - page 52
- Ethics in Focus: The need for, and use of, Direct Observation - page 55
- In Focus: Live Supervision in a Community Treatment Setting - page 59
- References - page 61
How the Homestudy Course Works
NOTE: THIS DISTANCE LEARNING COURSE IS AVAILABLE FOR ANYONE, IN ANY STATE, WHO IS ABLE TO RECEIVE DISTANCE LEARNING CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS. THIS COURSE IS APPROVED BY THE NBCC. To purchase the homestudy course, click the REGISTRATION button and look for the "Homestudy Course" titled "Models and Techniques in Clinical Supervision". This is a secured, encrypted server to purchase the course safely online. Fill out the registration information and pay for the course. The course will be emailed within 24 hours (or if you prefer it can be mailed to you via standard snail mail and will arrive within 1 week of purchase). Read the distance learning course and answer the section questions. Put the answers in the score sheet AND fill out the homestudy evaluation and return them BOTH (both are necessary to get credit). You need to get a score of 80% correct to pass. Once received and scored a certificate of completion will be sent to you via email (as a pdf) or regular mail (depending on your stated preference), within 1 week of receipt. If no preference is stated a pdf copy of your certificate will be emailed to you, which you can print out for your file.